25 de Abril

carnations&bread

In 1974. 25 de April. The day Portugal changed. And in these hard times for Portugal, we could almost forget... almost, but not quite. Last year, I wrote about it (and had used the photo above on another post too). This year, I'm not there, but I feel somehow close. All over my facebook, friends are talking about it and I feel part of it.

It seems the carnations that name the 25 de Abril's revolution were a random thing, like in so many of these decisive events. Someone, possibly a florist, gave red carnations to the soldiers and the people as she herself came out to the streets of Lisbon. I pause for a minute thinking about this small gesture that made an icon of red carnations for us Portuguese people... How random simple little things have the power to change the world. And our lives. There is hope. Remember that every time you see a red carnation!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...