::when I grow up I want to photograph like...::



Feature 2 - 1

Yes, I am serious. I definitely want to photograph like You Can’t Be Serious when I grow up.

I first came across You Can't Be Serious via their 365 Grateful website. It was such a beautiful and inspiring project that I wanted to learn more about them, so ended up on their blog absorbing the light in their pictures like a little flower doing photosynthesis.

Before you start wondering about their cool name and who they are, let me tell you about them. You Can't Be Serious is a husband & wife project; Hailey and Andrew Bartholomew work together on their fun photographic adventure/business in Brisbane Australia. They have two daughters and the cutest Great Dane ever.

Feature 2 - 2

You Can't Be Serious really make me want to improve my people photos, dare to be different and not really care, because that's not why you do it anyway. Their photography is almost a life lesson on top of photographic inspiration. In their work, I like the name ::yes, laugh away, most things are not that important::, the concept ::light and smiles and pure joie de vivre::, their side projects ::we need several reminders of how lucky we are so we get on with things and enjoy life a bit more:: and how ultimately their photography makes me smile the happy smile of good fun.

I'm getting better at asking people, since last time, I think. This time, I commented on a blog post; the photos demanded that of me. I received a personalised email reply. I did. And I loved it. I plucked up the courage to attach my request to my own reply… {insert suspense here while we wait for the reply}… Hailey said yes. And I thought to myself "wow, this blogging photographic community is indeed swell".

Feature 2 - 3

Hailey, from You Can't Be Serious in her own words, for she can write too!
* 
My photography is part play! I love to play with photography. Thinking up fun ideas and generally having a good time!! Not everyone wants to pay me for that type of work but I have found a way to do a little bit of 'me' and a little bit of 'work'.  
I am not the most technical of photographers... I know enough to get by but I am inspired by people... all sorts of people especially people having fun or delighting in life. I love capturing real or true moments of laughter or fun or tears too. I don't do a lot of photoshopping people I like people to look real and be real and maybe inspire others to be the same! 
I started liking photography many years ago when I was about 15yrs old. But I did not really get into it properly till my kids were born and were little. They were my first and most inspiring subjects. Around this time I also started doing assisting work for photographers in Melbourne. They were mostly commercial photographers and were amazing inspiring, kind people who took me under their wing and encouraged me lots in the early days. I am very grateful for the people I have met along the way. I used to take my work to them and ask them to critique it. It was the BEST way to learn!! 
My husband and I now run a little company, we work together and are delighted to be able to have our own business. We have been going full time for 2.5 years. We photograph anything with people! ;) 
* 
Feature 2 - 4

In addition to their business and the 365 Grateful, You Can’t Be Serious have yet another worthy project – I like to be me. This could be a story about Little Miss Joey, actually but it isn’t; I like to be me is about Ruby Who?. Teachers, schools and parents are finding that it’s very difficult to explain to kids about good body image and how to be happy with what and who they are. Ruby Who? is a short film that tackles these issues and is available with a set of other useful resources.

Do you feel inspired by You Can't Be Serious? I do! And I’m looking into their 365 Grateful in more detail now… we can all get involved.

Feature 2 - 5

Interestingly, I now feel more confident in pursuing my own photographic identity than before. And maybe, just maybe, I just want to photograph like Little Miss Joey… Thank you very much Hailey for being involved and making it such a smooth experience for me.


You Can’t Be Serious in links
:: Website
:: Blog
:: 365 Grateful
:: I Like To Be Me

7 comments:

  1. I love these guys' stuff - such colour and fun! good find LMJ. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci, Mel :)
    They are fabulous, such good fun!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah the nicest review ever!! Thanks for featuring us on your blog!

    There is only one little miss Joey and she sees the world a special and unique way. Best wishes for the journey. Look forward to seeing more of your photographic identity! GREAT words!

    hugs
    hailey

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you like it Hailey!
    Thank you very much for such sweet words :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great feature, keep them coming LMJ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joey That's cute :) lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...